15 January 2008

Indiana Jones: The Geriatric Years

He's back...and he loves pudding night!

But I kid Harrison Ford. Considering he'll be 66 in six months, he doesn't look so bad. Indiana Jones with white hair throws me a bit, but otherwise he looks like the same Indy we remember. And good for him for taking out the mid-life crisis earring long enough to complete the shoot!

Despite the general groans and rolled eyes from America as a whole, I actually got excited today about this movie coming out this May. I love the Indy movies and I had always hoped Spielberg/Lucas would make another. I'm disappointed that Sean Connery couldn't haul his ancient body out of reitirement to do the film, too, but I was very VERY happy to see they've brought back Karen Allen to reprise her role as Marion. Unfortunately it looks also as if they only brought her back so they could possibly squeeze in a son for her and Indy. I'm not a huge fan of contrived things like that, but I'd rather have Karen (with a Jones Love Child tagging along) than Calista Flockhart, who is who Ford wanted originally. One thing this series does not need is an anorexic Ally McBeal pouting her way through the movie.

I want to like this movie. I want to leave the series on a relatively good note. I don't want to go in with a lot of preconceived notions about how I want it to look. I want to just enjoy.

George Lucas was interviewed by Vanity Fair about the film:
“I know the critics are going to hate it. They already hate it. So there’s nothing we can do about that. They hate the idea that we’re making another one. They’ve already made up their minds.

“The fans are all upset. They’re always going to be upset. ‘Why did he do it like this? And why didn’t he do it like this?’ They write their own movie, and then, if you don’t do their movie, they get upset about it. So you just have to stand by for the bricks and the custard pies, because they’re going to come flying your way.”

While I certainly pray and hope it doesn't suck, I would hate for my expectations to ruin an otherwise enjoyable film for me. From this point on, I don't want to read anything about the film, especially critics' reviews. And may the memory of the Indiana Jones Empire not be sullied by a risky decision on their part.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm with you - I love Doctor Jones :) I hope it is as good as the first three...

Also - I don't hate all of Indiana - just Indianapolis...and only because I like the Pats... it is kinda like hating the Yankees because I'm a BoSox fan

Abby said...

Your example doesn't hold true necessarily, though. Indeed we ARE Yankee haters because we are BoSox fans, but then everyone who isn't a Yankee fan hates the Yankees. And I don't mean they don't like them, I mean they LOATH them. However, I am unuaware of a universal hatred of the Colts. So it must just be you. :)